Applicants must satisfy both University Entry Requirements and the Music Department's Entry Requirements.
All applicants are required to take aPerformance Audition on their intended primary instrument, and the Music Placement Exam (theory and aural).
- A minimum grade of B is required on each examination component for admittance into any Music Programme.
- A student who fails to meet the minimum requirements will be required to complete the Preliminary Music Programme.
- Staus as an undergraduate major is provisional until the student demonstrates academic and performance skills on an acceptable level. In short, Grade 5 Theory and Practical (Grade 2 is the minimum for Music Minors) skills on the emphasis instrument.
- Deficiencies in musical background will require the student to complete the Pre-degree courses in theory. (MUCT103 & MUCT104 Music Foundations I and II, including MUCT105 & MUCT106 Aural Training I and II) and/or Performance Studies on their indended primary instrument.
On completion of the music entry requirements, the department advisor will recommend the student’s application for admission into the appropriate programme.
Programme Entry Requirements
BA Music, AA Music
Grade 5 Theory and Grade 2 Practical (in the primary instrument) certificates (or their equivalent) from the Associate Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM), Trinity-Guildhall (London) or other recognized music schools.
Minor in Music
Associate Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM), Trinity-Guildhall (London), or other recognized music schools. Merit or Distinction, and awarded no more than one (1) year prior to applying to any of the music programmes, can be recommended for acceptance by the Performance Studies/Applied Music teacher.
Music Theory & Aural Skills Placement Test
- Music Theory Skills Test - Date and Time TBA
- Aural Skills Test - Date and Time TBA